The winter months can be depressing enough, with their extended hours of darkness. On top of fewer daylight hours, there are challenging road conditions thanks to dead leaves, rain, ice, and snow, which call for grit spreading to keep us safe on the roads.
All these factors can reduce the reliability of your automatic gate operation. But simple housekeeping checks in autumn and winter will help keep things running smoothly.
4 Automatic Gate Winter Checks
1. Visual Inspection
- Check that the path of the gate movement is free and clear of leaves and debris.
- Check for any signs of wear or damage on the gate paying particular attention to hinges, rollers, any exposed wiring, etc. (If damaged contact your gate maintenance provider immediately).
- Check the operation of the photocells by blocking them during an initiation of the gate movement. The gate should not close if the photocell is blocked.
- Having confirmed operation, wipe the photocells and reflectors (if present) with a damp cloth, removing any dirt that may have built up over a period of time. Once cleaned, check again for correct operation.
3. Safety Devices
- If the gate is fitted with safety devices such as safety edges, mechanical hinge protectors or meshing, check these are still seated/fixed securely and that there are no signs of physical damage. If unsure in any way, we recommend contacting your gate maintenance provider.
4. General Operation
- Check for any excessive noise/squeaking or laboured movement during the gate operation as this could be a sign that the gate requires lubricating/servicing. If concerned, again we recommend you have the gate serviced.
By following these simple steps, you should enjoy longer, trouble-free operation of your automatic gate.
Regular maintenance and servicing
One final word of caution: these checks are no substitution for regular servicing and maintenance of your gate system. Servicing should take place every six months, or at least once a year, depending on usage. A regular professional service of your gate system should prevent premature failure and costly repairs in the future.
If you currently have, or are looking to set up an IN2 Business Account, please email or call our Sales Team which can offer you a significant tradesmen discount on our listed prices. Tel: 01691 655150 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org